LATEST UPDATE:
May 21, 2020

Dear Parents,

Camp Gan Israel is committed to providing a safe and enjoyable summer for our campers and staff. After much consideration and deliberation, we are happy to let you know that G‑d willing, we will be opening for Summer 2020, while complying with all state regulations and guidelines. This summer will be a new experience for all of us, and there is still much uncertainty. That said, we are taking a cautious approach, which we feel is the best way to move forward. Please read through the following carefully. We know it is a lot of information, but it will answer MANY of your questions. 

1. Dates: As of now, the dates we are committed to opening are June 29-July 24 (4 weeks). If all goes as planned, there is a possibility we will continue until August 7 (additional 2 weeks). We will announce on July 13 (beginning of Week 3) whether or not we will be extending camp past this 4 week period. 
2. Times: The camp day will be slightly shortened; hours will be 9:00 am - 3:00 pm.
3. Location: We have been anxiously awaiting our permit from the New Haven Board of Ed for use of Barnard School for this summer, but they have still not made the decision if they will be opening facilities for this summer. If camp cannot be held at Barnard, it will be held at Southern CT Hebrew Academy in Orange. 
4. Health Screening/Protocols: Temperatures of ALL campers and staff will be taken each day upon arrival. All children will need to be accompanied by their parents/guardians until being cleared to enter by a designated camp “screener.” Staff or children who have a temperature greater than 100 degrees will not be permitted into camp per state executive order. Staff and counselors will wear masks; campers will not be required to do so.  
5. Group Sizes: Groups (bunks) will have a maximum capacity of 10 campers + staff. Campers within the same group do not have to adhere to social distancing. Campers may not mingle with other groups outside of their own. Appropriate social distancing between groups will be followed throughout the day. Once groups are established, there will be no flexibility in changing groups. For this reason, we will not be able to offer extended care. 
6. Clean Team: CGI will have a “clean team” to disinfect over the course of the camp day as well as after the campers leave. We are committed to keeping our facility safe for our campers and staff. Enhanced handwashing and hygiene practices will also be followed as per state guidelines. 
7. Aquatics: There will be no aquatics program this summer (no swimming). We will fill the time with other fun and exciting water activities when possible, as well as additional special events/performers. 
8. Trips: We are planning for all Upper Campers (Jr. & Sr. Divisions) to have one field trip each week. Some of the options we are exploring are outdoor/nature activities such as boating, hiking, etc. Since we do not know at this time what will be open, we are not ready to announce what those trips will be. Transportation for trips will be via vans due to limitations on busing by state regulations. Of course, parents will be notified about exact details once they are confirmed.
9. Covid Shutdown: As per state guidelines, in the event, G‑d forbid, that a camper or staff member tests positive for Covid-19, that group (only) will need to shut down for 14 days and the 10 members of that group + staff will not be able to attend camp until the waiting period is over. Should that happen to your child's group, please understand that as CGI is already making the financial investment, we will only be able to offer a partial refund of 50% for missed days due to a Covid-19 shutdown. This is the only scenario in which any type of refund will be offered. 
10. Missed Days: Please understand that refunds cannot be made for any missed days for any reason, including illnesses.
11. Waivers: Detailed waivers and updated parent consent policies will need to be signed by all parents, even those already registered.
12. Payment/Tuition:

A. Tuition: We have lowered tuition to $250/week/child for the first 4 weeks. (We will let you know about the last two weeks once we make a decision on July 13 regarding extending past July 24.) Due to limitations on group sizes, we are unfortunately unable to offer any sibling discounts. Also, there will be no half-day option for Mini Gan Izzy. We reserve the right to decline any registrations that are not for the full 4 weeks in order to minimize "mixing" of children within groups (to keep each group to the same 10 campers).
B. Refunds: Parents who already paid in full will receive a refund based on their adjusted amount. Anyone who received the 5% early-bird discount will still have it apply to the new adjusted amount. Since we do not yet know about the last two weeks, we will issue any additional refunds once we confirm on July 13.
C. We will be making an adjustment to all payment plans. In order for us to proceed with programming for this summer, payment for camp will have to be made in advance, before camp begins. There will be 2 options: pay in full at time of registration, or split into two payments: one at registration, and one by June 25.
D. REGISTRATION IS CURRENTLY CLOSED as we work with our registration platform to reflect the tuition changes and payment plan updates. Registration will open, G‑d willing, on Monday, May 25, at 1:00 pm. As you can imagine, we have limited space available due to group size limits, so all spaces will be available on a first-come, first-served basis. We are almost full in some groups, so we urge you not to delay registration.
E. We respect your decision to do what is best for your family. We understand that you may decide not to have your child join camp this summer, even if you have already registered. We are setting a deadline of June 2 for anyone who has registered to let us know if they will not be keeping their spot. We will refund anyone who cancels their registration by that date. After June 2, we cannot offer any refunds of any kind for not attending camp.
F. Since all possibilities need to be considered, in the event that camp cannot be held at all due to any new state regulations, all camp fees will be refunded less processing fees (~3%).

All of the above is obviously only a brief overview of policies; more details will be forthcoming in our parent handbook.

During these uncertain times, we can tell you that our #1 goal is to have a safe and fun summer. CGI is more than just a physical place; this year's guidelines will not change the heart and soul of who we are. With G‑d's help, we hope to be able to provide an experience that is just as fun and exciting as always—and maybe even better!

We know you may have questions/concerns, and we want to help! We have scheduled a Zoom meeting to be able to answer and respond to any questions on Sunday, May 24, at 8:00 pm. 
Join Zoom Meeting
https://us04web.zoom.us/j/71991687890?pwd=UmFYdlRhaGlkeGtJMDRSL3VWa2Q2QT09
Meeting ID: 719 9168 7890
Password: CGI

With best wishes for good health,

Rabbi Schneur & Chanie Wilhelm
Camp Gan Israel of Greater New Haven